Virtual Private Server is a virtual hardware created on a physical server. The hosting provider creates a number of VPS on a physical server, providing full access to the users who sign up for this hosting plan. VPS hosting plan is as good as Dedicated hosting plan but comes with limited resources to offer. The provider gives access to the users so that they can install any software/ OS and perform all the root level tasks for their website.
This hosting plan isn’t one of the affordable web hosting services available as it is more powerful than a shared hosting plan and comes with added privileges.
Who is this hosting plan best suited for?
Those business websites that draw in a huge volume of visitors and complex tasks being executed should opt for VPS hosting. Such websites require high amount of resources and constant monitoring to be able to run efficiently.
Some of the benefits of VPS hosting are:
- Optimal Performance: Each VPS server is able to perform all its functionalities like a standalone dedicated server by providing abundant resources, stability, security and absolute isolation.
- Security: Even though your website shares the server with others, there are only a fixed number of them being hosted on a VPS. The specific server setup ensures every virtual partition is absolutely isolated from prying eyes. The only one who can access your virtual server and data, is you.
- Reliability: The VPS hosting infrastructure ensures that the server resources are allocated between users individually and are not shared. Your website is not affected if any other website hosted on the same server uses more than allocated resources in terms of bandwidth, RAM, disk space, etc. VPS hosting plans are considered to be more reliable than Shared hosting plans. Many web hosting providers offering this service leave about 30-40% of their server resources unallocated to be able to cater to website needs during busy periods.
- Control and Flexibility: All web hosting service providers give you total control over your web presence. They offer web based control panels to let you manage your virtual business efficiently. It also gives you the flexibility to choose the operating system, server configurations and softwares according to your business website’s requirements.
- Cost Efficient: VPS web servers are highly cost efficient. While offering almost the same functionalities as a Dedicated web server, it accounts for only a fraction of their price.