Choosing an operating system to get your website hosted can be a task in itself, considering both Linux and Windows offer significantly alluring features. With each having its own strengths and weaknesses, it is important for one to understand each before signing up for a hosting plan.
Linux is an UNIX based, open source platform being an affordable web hosting service for website hosting. The most significant feature being LAMP (Linux, Apache, MariaDB/ MySQL and Perl/ PHP/ Python), it signifies a combination of software and hardware technologies.
Linux servers are a big hit amongst the Internet entrepreneurs and here’s why..
- Open Source Platform: One of the biggest reasons for Internet entrepreneurs to choose Linux is the fact that it is an open source platform. Those who are clued up about how to modify or improve an existing program to suit their website’s needs, save on a lot of time compared to developing a program from scratch.
- Flexibility: Another interesting feature of this affordable web hosting service is its flexibility. It is possible to host all ecommerce, blogging and multimedia applications on Linux web hosting servers. This allows entrepreneurs and business to touch upon an array of strategies to establish their online presence.
- Pocket Friendly: Pricing has always been the prime criteria while choosing a web hosting plan. Linux web hosting service is an affordable web hosting service compared to Windows web hosting, as there is no need to get licenses for servers (that otherwise, cost a lot!). Linux supports WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and php letting anyone set up an online business easily and at a reasonable cost.
- Security and Reliability: The one treasure a business doesn’t want to ever lose is its website’s content and web logs. When businesses get their websites hosted, they hope to keep this treasure safely locked in a server. Even though the web hosting provider takes care of all the software fixes, maintenance and server upgrades, the number of technological advancements today can put all the web content at risk if your web host is slack. When it comes to reliability and security, Linux web hosting wins hands down as it has been the longest running affordable web hosting service ever since the Internet got introduced.
- Simplicity and Speed: Linux as an OS is clearly easier to use than the Windows OS, because it comes pre-installed with software that is ready to be modified and used for various application developments. Linux supports all basic web hosting requirements: PHP, MySQL and Perl Script to maximize a website’s efficiency. It is able to handle higher amount of processes more efficiently than Windows.