Cloud computing refers to a large number of computers connected through a real time communication network to perform defined functionalities; the most common communication network being the Internet. This technology gives you the ability to run a program or an application on all the connected computers, at the same time.
These are network based hosting services that give the impression of being served by a real hardware server but are in real, served by virtual hardware which is set up by running softwares on one or more real machines whose capacity can be scaled up or down without affecting the users.
Cloud hosting is a term that describes the network based services provided using cloud computing. It is a popular method of configuring servers in a flexible manner.
Benefits of Cloud Hosting:
- Simpler: The server launches in less than a minute, giving you enough time to focus on delivering data instead of server setup and maintenance. They need not be installed on every computer in the network and can be accessed from any location.
- Agility: If you can rearrange and re-provision the technological infrastructure, no other hosting plan provides as much flexibility.
- Affordability: The entire infrastructure is provided by a third party, which automatically cuts down the setup cost. This hosting plan charges the user based on his usage making it a popular affordable web hosting service. The hosting costs can be measured per hour as well to help you keep a check on your usage to maintain the hosting budget.
- Movability: Since the infrastructure is accessed via the Internet, it allows users to access systems using web browsers easily; regardless of their location or the type of device.
- Shareability: Since the infrastructure and all technologies used are virtual, it allows you to share servers and storage devices making the transfer of applications from one physical server to another a cakewalk.
- Reliability: The reliability and security provided by the cloud improves with the use of multiple redundant websites as there is centralization of data. This hosting plan is suitable for business usage and disaster recovery as all the information hosted in the cloud is not at the risk of being lost due to hardware failure. The web host also ensures regular automatic backups to keep the information safe and up-to-date.
- Customizable: This hosting plan offers customizable servers. The clouds can be scaled up or down, with an option of specifying the server’s processing power, location and operating system as per your business website’s needs.
- Application Programming Interface (API): This enables machines to interact with the cloud software in the same way as the conventional user interface does.